Quick Answer: What Happens If We Eat Naphthalene Balls?

What happens to naphthalene balls when heated?

When heated at 80 °C, napthalene rapidly sublimes directly from a solid into a gas, eventually leaving nothing remaining in the crucible.

On cool surfaces, the gaseous naphthalene will re-solidify to form needle-like crystals.

This process is a method of purifying napthalene..

Are naphthalene balls safe?

Moth balls containing naphthalene are generally safe for use around adults and older children, if used correctly and in the right quantity.

Can mothball smell hurt you?

The chemicals in mothballs are toxic to humans and pets. People are exposed to the chemicals in mothballs by inhaling the fumes. … Some of the chemicals in mothballs can cause reversible health effects that include headaches, nausea, eye and nose irritation and coughing.

Can naphthalene balls keep rats away?

Mothballs repelling mice and rats is a common misconception. Mothballs contain a small amount of naphthalene and can be a deterrent in large quantities, however, they aren’t powerful enough to get rid of mice and rodents.

Is naphthalene balls cause death?

The fatal dose for naphthalene in humans is unknown, but as little as one mothball can result in toxicity in children. Deaths have been reported the following ingestion of naphthalene balls. Naphthalene is erratically absorbed when ingested in the pediatric population. … It is rapidly absorbed when inhaled.

Is smelling naphthalene balls harmful?

Moth balls contain a toxic chemical, either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Both become a gas when exposed to air and cause that pungent moth ball smell. These gases are irritating to the eyes and lungs and may cause headache, dizziness and nausea. They are both suspected of causing cancer.

Can eating mothballs kill you?

Mothballs can also be dangerous if they are chewed or eaten. Children, pets and wildlife may mistake them for food or candy and eat them. One mothball can cause serious harm if eaten by a small child. If someone has swallowed a mothball, call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for emergency medical advice.

Is naphthalene toxic to humans?

Acute (short- term) exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and neurological damage. … Chronic (long-term) exposure of workers and rodents to naphthalene has been reported to cause cataracts and damage to the retina.

Do naphthalene balls kill cockroaches?

Moth Balls – Roaches, like moths, don’t like the smell of moth balls. … The roaches avoid it, and when coated with it, they suffocate. The sprays don’t kill as fast as typical poisons, but they are safe to use in the kitchen and around pets and children.

Can you sleep in a room with mothballs?

‘ and the answer to this question is yes, potentially. According to the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), the chemicals use in mothballs can be toxic to humans and pets and as people are exposed to these chemicals that are released as toxic fumes in the air space of the home.

Why are moth balls banned?

Why are moth balls banned? Old fashioned moth balls containing naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene were banned in the EU in 2008 because of their potential risk to human health. Both chemicals can cause ill health by breathing in fumes over time or ingestion which is a serious risk for small children.

Can we keep naphthalene balls in kitchen?

Place two to three balls in every rack of your kitchen shelf. … Some other preventive measures you can take are to secure the drain openings in the kitchen and bathrooms every night, keep the under-sink cabinet odor free and place naphthalene balls in the region. Do not use newspapers to line the shelves.